Waking up at night with your eyes streaming and a scratchy chest is not something that any of us want to go through.
Sure we could remove our pet from the home but for many of us, our pets are like family members.
The truth is that in 2020, there is no reason we can’t use technology to allow us to enjoy our furry friends but not end up breathing in the dander, odors, and hair that these guys shed on a daily basis.
We based our selection of air purifiers for pets based on those that can deal with a large number of odors and dander that need to be removed from your home air.
As with other home gadgets that are aimed at pets (think Dyson Pet vacuum) – I would generally avoid the very cheapest purifiers on the market – they will just become clogged very quickly and are unlikely to provide the end goal of clean air in your home.
But if budget is a concern, don’t be put off as many of the cheaper options in this list are able to work in small rooms. So whilst you might not be able to clean the air in your entire home, you will still be able to keep your bedroom or home office safe from dander and other allergy-causing particles.
All air purifiers recommended have been thoroughly researched including using algorithms to identify review manipulation so you don’t end up with a machine that doesn’t live up to expectations – be sure to contact me if you have any issues with any of the air purifiers on the list.
Best Choice overall – Austin Air Pet Machine B4101B1
We are a big fan of Austin who has been making air purifiers for the last 30 years and has been manufactured in the United States. This is especially important at this time with Covid-19 and the problems of the supply chain of getting air purifiers from China and Asia.
Austin Air purifiers have been used during American disasters including Hurrican Katrina and 9-11 and they work with a number of American hospitals.
This pet machine uses true HEPA filters (which are replaced every 5 years) and has 780 cubic inches of carbon and zeolite filter that will remove odors and gases (which is a major issue with Pets.)
The Pet Machine is great for keeping you safe and your pet safe (for those who own exotic animals) as it removes many particles and allergens that are also dangerous to animals.
It covers 1500sq.ft but do take into account that every home layout is different so I generally recommend working under the maximum given by the manufacturers.
Plenty of users have found that the Austin Pet Machine has enabled them to live allergy free even with Cats that previously have been causing major issues and allowed them to keep their cats.
The downside is that it’s not the cheapest on the market but if you have a major issue with pets then this is the air purifier for the job.
Another issue to be aware of is that it does run fairly loud which might upset some dogs so be sure to get from Amazon so you can easily send it back if you have any issues.
- Designed specifically for people with pets looking to remove unwanted odors, pet dander and animal allergens from the home
- Also ideal for bird and exotic pet owners wanting to remove allergens and particles that can be harmful to their pets
- True medical grade HEPA filter removes 99.97% of all particles larger than 0.3 microns; proprietary blend of over 780 cubic inches of impregnated carbon and zeolite filtration removes chemicals, gases and odors like ammoniums
- 3 speed settings for fan; 360 degree intake system draws air into all sides of unit, passing air through a 4 stage filter
- Reduces pet odors and allergens, night time allergies, asthma attacks, snoring, and helps you sleep better; eases coughing, wheezing, sneezing; reduces dry mouth, runny nose; strengthens the immune system
2. Budget choice – Winx 5300-2
This air purifier is usually found for around $120-150 and is the best in class for this budget level.
As with the Austin air purifier, this comes with True-HEPA, a carbon filter and PlasmaWave technology (a fancy way to say it uses bipolar ionization which is very safe unlike many of the old units that created large amounts of ozone.)
As I mentioned in the intro, don’t expect this budget air purifier to clean your entire home but you can use it in rooms up to 400sq ft and there is no reason you can’t buy more to be used in rooms in future.
Many people have used the Winx 5300 for pet dander and pet odor and found that allergies symptoms were reduced significantly after using the device.
The downside of this air purifier is that it can only be used in one room so you will need to move it around the house if you want to clean new spaces.
The filter does need to be replaced every 12 months at a cost of $40 so that is a cost to keep in mind. There is also electrify cost to consider which amounts to $73 a year at level 4 24 hours per day.
But if you can’t quite push for the Austin Air Pet machine then the Winx 5300-2 is a perfect air purifier for remove pet dander and odors from a room.
- True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 3 Stage cleaning, removes a range of allergens: dust, cigarette smoke, pollen, odors, pet dander, mold spores and organic chemicals. CFM (Sleep / Low / Med / High / Turbo) : 35.31 / 70.63 / 91.82 / 123.60 / 240.14
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants - with no harmful ozone
- Delivered air flow :236 CFM, decibels : 27.8 . Smart Sensor gauges the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night-time operation
- No remote control . CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, baby nurseries and offices
3. Money No Object – Molekule Air Purifier
If $800+ doesn’t make you spit out your coffee then it might be worth checking out the Molekule air purifier.
It has the looks with a sleek silver design that will fit well into many homes and unlike the other options it’s smart so it comes with its own Android and Apple app.
It can handle decent size rooms with the ability to clean replace the air in a 600 sq.ft room every hour.
Unlike standard air purifiers that use HEPA and Carbon, this air purifier from Molekule uses it’s own patented PECO system. Whilst standard HEPA and Carbon are great for removing particles and odor from the air – PECO has the ability to kill and destroy viruses, bacteria, and VOCs using its patented oxidization process.
There are even studies that look at how this PECO technology works with people with Asthma symptoms – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6028155/ (many suffered showed reduced symptoms after 4 weeks)
Many pet owners have found that the Molekule air purifier is great at removing pet dander and odors even with multiple animals.
The Molekule air purifier is certainly a great purifier for those with pets but it will be up to you decide if it’s worth the significant extra $$ compared to something like the Austin Air pet machine which achieves similar results for a lot less budget.
- Molekule Air uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy viruses, VOCs, allergens, bacteria & mold.
- Designed for large rooms up to 600 sq. ft. Ideal for master bedrooms, living rooms & family rooms.
- Smart & Connected – Molekule Air is easy to control using its touch-screen display. For added convenience, you can connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
- Clean Design – Made from machined aluminum, Molekule Air is beautifully designed to fit seamlessly into your home.
- Portable – With its natural leather handle, Molekule Air can be easily carried and placed anywhere in the home.
Why should be you be bothered about pet hair and dander?
In the US, nearly 20% of the population has an allergic reaction to cats and dogs and as pets get older the causes of these allergies – pet dander actually get worse as the animals shed more.
Most people know that you need to keep on top of cat and dog hair when you suffer allergies but many of the big allergy-causing particles are too small to be seen by the naked eye.
This is where air purifiers can help with the use of HEPA, Carbon and even PECO to remove these particles from the air so your body doesn’t have the allergic reaction. This is why air purifiers are also great for allergies as they can turn your home into a safe-haven from allergy-causing particles like tree pollen.
It’s the smell
If you have owned a very old dog you know that whilst they are still as lovable as ever – the smell can become overwhelming. Whilst there are many ways to reduce the smell a simple way is to use an air purifier that uses Carbon to remove odor-causing particles from the air – so if you trying everything to reduce the smell of old dog, then be sure to test out one of the air purifiers mentioned in this post.
Last update on 2020-05-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API