Honeywell has been in business for over 100 years and has been in the air purifier business since 1987 when it acquired Enviracare air cleaners.
They are well known for creating high-quality purifiers that don’t cost the earth and were one of the first manufacturers to use True HEPA filters.
They are regularly recommended by Doctors for allergy sufferers or at least that is what they have us believe if you read their marketing material!
The problem is that there are so many different models, from the HFD-120 to the latest AirGenius 4 and HPA300.
It can be super hard to narrow down the list and pick a purifier that will do the job of removing allergens like mold, pollen, pet dander, and VOC’s so you can breathe more easily in your home.
But don’t worry, the team here has gone and done the research to pull together the ultimate list of the best Honeywell air purifiers that are available in 2020.
As with any of our recommendations, your specific use case will define the particular model that is right for you but we have tried to highlight specific models for allergies or those who are looking to remove tobacco smoke.
So let’s not waste anymore time and jump in the full review:
1.Best Overall – Honeywell HPA300
The HPA300 isn’t the cheapest Honeywell purifier but it does tick nearly all the boxes. It has a True HEPA filter (so is perfect for those with allergies and pets.)
As with any HEPA based system, you will need to replace the filters (every 12 months for HEPA and 3 months for the pre-filter) but you can regularly find a 3 pack of generic filters for $50 or less so it’s not a massive extra expense. But do be aware that if have a significant dirty or particular smokey room, then you may have to change them more regularly.
The maximum room size is 465ft so perfect for one room but I wouldn’t recommend trying to use it as a whole house purifier.
If you have the budget for the HPA300 and you know you want a Honeywell purifier then this is the model I recommend.
But I would recommend spending the extra for the 300 if you have a large room as otherwise you will end up replacing your filter more often and the running costs will end up far bigger than initial cost savings.
Many customers who have medical issues like Asthma have found the HPA300 really helped to reduce their symptoms and many were shocked at how dirty the filters ended up.
One of the big benefits of this purifier is that it can run in the “Germ” mode which allows it to clean air at near silence (which would be perfect for say during a film if you used this air purifier in the living room.)
- Extra large room air purifier: Recommended for extra large rooms (465 square feet) this true hepa allergen remover air purifier helps capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- Turbo clean: With 3 air cleaning levels plus a Turbo clean setting, this air purifier helps remove particles like pet dander, pollen, dust, mold & smoke. It also helps capture certain germs & reduce odors.
- Honeywell air purifiers: Our air purifiers help remove allergens, dust & odors. If you have allergies, pets or stale indoor air, air purifiers help remove airborne particles & help improve air quality.
- Filter & circulate: Honeywell Air Purifiers filter & circulate air in the stated room size up to 5 times an hour. Breathe easy knowing the air in your home is fresher & cleaner with fewer allergens.
- Honeywell quality: Improve your air quality & neutralize odors for a clean & healthy breathing experience year round with Honeywell replacement filters for air cleaners & purifiers.
2. Best on a Budget and Smokers – HFD-120-Q
True HEPA technology is awesome but it does add a fair amount to running costs especially in a home with a lot of allergens.
The Honeywell quiet clean HFD 120 uses permanent filters that are washable similar to what we see in a range of Dyson vacuum cleaners. The good news is no extra running costs like you would with a HEPA purifier with new filters every 12 months.
This does come with some downsides and I wouldn’t recommend this particular model for those with allergies as HEPA units are just great for removing pollen. HEPA have far smaller holes so can pick up fairly large particles like Pollen with ease. The filters on this purifier will not stop as smaller particles so there is some potential for smaller pollen particles to pass through and irritate your lungs.
The other benefit of washable filters is that it’s great for allergens like Smoke as they really burn through filters which can add up.
This air purifier is the Honeywell machine I would reccomend for smokers. As you will be able to remove a lot of smoke allergens with the filters but just bear in mind that you will need to regular clean the washable filters more often than in a non-smoking household.
Many customers found this unit perfect for dealing with second-hand smoke and were amazed at the amount of smoke that the washable filters removed from the air.
I would recommend this air purifier for those wanting to deal with odors or second-hand tobacco smoke but would still favor the HPA300 for those with allergies or asthma.
- OSCILLATING AIR PURIFIER: This air purifier circulates air & helps capture up to 99% of airborne particles as small as 2 microns such as smoke, dust, pollen, and pet dander from the air that passes through the filter.
- PERMANENT FILTERS: This tower air purifier features 3 cleaning levels, on/off oscillation control & washable permanent pre-filter & Clean filter. It's Energy Star-certified for energy efficiency.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY REPLACEMENT FILTERS: The included filter helps reduce odors and VOCs. Each air purifier's performance is tested as a system with the filters for best efficiency.
- FILTER & CIRCULATE: Honeywell Air Purifiers filter & circulate air in the stated room size up to 5 times an hour. Breathe easy knowing the air in your home is fresher & cleaner with fewer allergens.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Improve your air quality & neutralize odors for a clean & healthy breathing experience year round with Honeywell replacement filters for air cleaners & purifiers.
3. Super Budget Option – Honeywell DH-HPA060
I totally get that many people will see $200 as way too much for an air purifier.
I will keep saying that if you want to deal with a health condition like asthma caused by a dust or pet allergy then there is no point in not spending at least $200. This can also make sense from a medical point of view as you will end up saving money on medication/trips to the doctor if you can make your home allergen-free.
But I totally get that some people just want an air purifier to deal with minor issues like smoke from the next-door neighbor or general house odors that just won’t go away.
The HPA060 is for very small rooms – 75sqft so if you do use it in a larger room you can expect it to take a lot longer to filter and circulate the air. In the recommended 75sqft it is expected to circulate air 5 times in an hour.
Looking at the price history, this purifier can range from $44.99 up to $100 so be sure to keep checking to get a good price.
But at $70 or less this purifier does pack a decent punch with a certified HEPA filter and pre-filter.
- HEPA AIR PURIFIER: Recommended for small rooms (75 sq. ft.), this air purifier helps capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 micron, like pet dander, pollen, dust, mold & smoke. Also reduces certain germs & common household odors.
- REDUCE ALLERGENS: Do you or your kids have allergies? Do you have pets, or live with a smoker? Using an air purifier that helps remove allergens from the air may help you breathe easier, so you can enjoy sleeping & relaxing more comfortably in your home.
- FILTER AND CIRCULATE AIR 5 TIMES AN HOUR: Honeywell Air Purifiers filter and circulate air in the stated room size up to 5 times an hour, so you can relax and breathe easy, knowing the air in your home is fresher, cleaner, and contains fewer allergens.
- HONEYWELL AIR PURIFIERS: Use Certified HEPA filters in air purifier to remove allergens, dust & other particles from your air. If you have allergies or pets, air purifiers do more than freshen air, helping remove airborne particles & improve air quality.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Improve your air quality with Honeywell air cleaners, odor reducers, and air purifiers.
So should you buy a Honeywell Air Purifier?
Honeywell is well known for creating a variety of home products but are they the best at air purifiers on the market?
I think at the $200 budget the HPA300 is truly capable of a machine for the money. Just be aware that the price on Amazon.com does change with current demand and supply but anytime it’s under $200 it’s a great historical price.
Now at the lower budgets such as the HFD-120 and the HPA60 – it’s really hard to say that these are must buy air purifiers. To get all the technology such as the filters and fans in such a small size and budget – you just end up with a machine that isn’t very capable.
It’s not to say that these products won’t be a good fit for every type of consumer out here but the vast majority will be better of spending more money on an air purifier that has multiple filters and pre-filters that can clean a large amount of air every hour. This just isn’t possible with a unit that is $100 or less.
Last update on 2020-08-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API